A few developments have transpired since the last blog post. The “big” news is that the place from where we were going to be getting our new chicks left us hangin'. Looks like we won't be able expanding our flock quite as fast as we first thought.
So, what we've decided to do is just hatch our own chicks. Speaking of that, we woke up this morning to see the eggs in our incubator all pipping. And, as the day went on, we started hearing chirping. So, hopefully in the next 12 hours, we'll have three new chicks for our flock.
Also, two of our orpingtons have gone broody. So, we stuck a half-dozen eggs from our barred rocks under them to see how they do at hatching out their own broods. And, once the chicks in our incubator are hatched, we'll re-load for another batch of eggs.
These efforts will take us longer to grow or flock, but it's great to know that we can do this on our own, with our own eggs!
This past week, I've also been working on a new shed, which we'll first use for storage (as we want to clean out the RV), then later use it for a home for the new goats we want to get. The weather has kept me from getting the job done sooner, but today I was able to get the last piece into place, which was the door.
I decided to go with a sliding door, so I took some time and designed my own mechanism for the door. Seems to work pretty well and was easy enough to do. I really enjoy building things ourselves, it really get the creative juices flowing. I can completely understand the meaning behind “necessity being the mother of invention”.
That's about all that's been happening these last couple of weeks.